Thursday, April 25, 2013

Commonalities

So, I mentioned in my last post that I noticed some things that seem to remain consistent across auditions, regardless of level.
And I thought I would talk about that a little bit.
I want to preface this by saying that I have heard and seen some wonderful performances from all levels of singers over the past weeks, and I find this all very encouraging for our art form.

What I would like to see more of, all this time is.......

1.  Take chances dramatically and musically
2.  Show more of who you are
3.  Don't be afraid of making mistakes
4.  Own the room, and don't audition defensively.

As I told a group of students at Rutgers University;

Generally speaking, you probably have a 10% chance of getting hired at any audition.  Given those odds, why not let the real you come through?
The reality is, the best chance you will have of getting hired will happen when the authentic you, the one that has something to say, comes through in your audition!!

No comments:

Post a Comment