Sunday, June 30, 2013

Masterclasses in interesting locations

I got back last week from doing master classes on auditioning in Novafeltria, Italy at La Musica Lirica.  I did two days there with singers with a wide range of experience, and it was great to hear singers on their various career paths.  It's interesting to see that some of the same issues tend to be universal as challenges -

1.  Having a good grasp of what the "right repertoire" means for auditioning
2.  Being fully ready to present the audition - meaning being comfortable with those presentational elements of an audition that go beyond vocal technique, musicality and correct pronunciation.

This week, I am off to Brazil to direct The Tales of Hoffman for the Festival of International Opera of the Americas.  I will also be doing some master classes there as well, and I hope to report "on location".

No comments:

Post a Comment