Thursday, November 18, 2010

What do I do?

Working with our Studio Artists this week has produced some interesting questions around knowing "how much to do" in an audition dramatically.
The question, arises of course, from the notion that some artistic/general directors like a very acted out, active audition, while others prefer a more low key, purely vocally based presentation.
This is a somewhat tough question to answer, but as I've said in a different context, your best chance for being hired lies in you being true to who you are as a performer, as opposed to chasing down what a particular director might like.
Regardless of how much actually histrionics you do in an audition, you must absolutely have the dramatic arc of your aria mapped out, so that there is a dramatic through line that matches the vocal through line.
I believe this begins by doing a full blown staging while preparing the aria for audition.
I will expand on this in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment