Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Driving home a previous point - and a new one!!

I've just heard a number of auditions (somewhere around 100 total), and the first thing I would say, is that I heard some wonderful singing and performances.
The other thing I would say is that for me a piece that is still often missing is inhabiting the character that is being portrayed. This doesn't mean a completely staged out performance, but what it does mean is: singing with intent, and knowing what you want to do with your body throughout the audition.
As I mentioned to one singer this means spending as much time physically rehearsing your entrance into the room, your exit out of the room, and everything else in between.

My new point is, rehearse pronouncing the names of your arias and the operas they come from!
I heard some mistakes on that front, and that is part of the impression you are making.

No comments:

Post a Comment