Monday, July 20, 2009

Own your audition

My father (who was a businessman), gave me a piece of advice that was intended for dealing with interviews, but I think it works equally well for auditions. He said "take care of the 50% of the interview (read: audition) that is on your side of the table. How true that is. When I used to audition, I would be so concerned about what "they" thought, that it often unraveled what I was doing. Never give away that power. For the 2, 6, or 15 minutes that you are accorded to sing an audition, you are in control. You cannot determine the outcome, only the output, so control it. When you do that, whether or not you get the job, you will have taken a step forward. If, on the other hand, you let "them" get inside your head during the audition, you will be back to square one the next time out.

1 comment:

  1. This is at the heart of it all. I love the idea of breaking it down 50/50. That really allows you to separate your job (singing your audition), from their job (deciding whether they can use you...not whether or not they like you). "You cannot determine the outcome, only the output." Exactly.

    ReplyDelete